Panavision’s new Alexa-killer… we’ve got the early details
We met with Panavision at Plus Camerimage 2012 to talk about their upcoming digital camera – which has a brand new sensor, equivalent to 70mm film. There’s still work needed to get the sensor and cooling system right, so they’re not ready to release firm details, but here’s what we’ve learned so far:
- The camera will feature on-board recording via an SSD, perhaps 1.5Tb
- It will feature a Titanium body, and should be a couple of pounds lighter than the Arri Alexa.
- It is expected to record DNxHD and ProRes, in RGB and maybe RAW.
- The sensor can be windowed down to 42mm and 35mm formats.
- They’re keen to allow a wide range of metadata to be captured and recorded onboard, making it “the VFX department’s dream camera“
- They are also looking to develop a new open codec format
We’re expecting to see a prototype in the next six months…
In addition to the new camera, Panavision have announced a new range of Primo 70 lenses.